Sunday, 16 March 2008

Flooding River Ouse

Here are a few pictures to illustrate what the river levels do . Normally, I walk through this little passage way to get to the path along the river. As you can see, the river is happily in its banks well down below the orange life preserver you can see straight ahead in the picture.Okay, same life preserver, same walk way. Only the river has come way up and prevents anyone from walking this way!
This little arch way you can see is where I normally come underneath on my way up onto the white bridge so that I can cross the river. Normally, it isn't a problem to go this way.
However, when the river is flooded, I'd have to swim through there.
Note the wooden railings around each of these trees because. . .
same trees and no wooden railings. They are several feet underwater in this picture.
Note the black bollards all in a row and the bench through the arch way because. . .
you can just see the tips of them poking out down below. The river levels can change very suddenly from day to day in the winter. During January and part of February, I had to take the long way around to the bus because the river levels stayed up so high that there was no way through here. Crazy, ey?

No comments:

Post a Comment