Monday, 30 June 2008
Robin Hood's Bay
Here I go again out on a little day trip. Since I love traveling around England, it wasn't a problem to go. This particular destination is a place called Robin Hood's Bay. Unfortunately for all of you romantics out there who love Robin Hood, it is very unlikely that Robin Hood ever came here.
This next picture is me out on the edge of the beach as the tide is coming in. We had to watch the tide carefully because this is one of those places where it is easy to get cut off when the tide comes in! Since I love cold water so much, I'm sure that would have been a fun thing! Robin Hood's Bay is supposedly famous for its fossils dating from the Jurassic period. I must confess that I was not looking for any fossils while we were wandering along the beach and because of that did not find any.
Robin Hood's bay is also famous for smuggling activities and for shipwrecks! Now those two things are plenty exciting even if Robin Hood himself never came here. Supposedly there are tunnels underneath the town connecting the buildings to each other for ease in smuggling activities. It also appears that since the rugged East coast is often shrouded in thick fog or is raked by sudden winter squalls that shipwrecks a real danger. At one time iron stone in the cliffs was believed to affect ship compasses, magnetically attracting them into the rocks. This place was also a prime site during the war years for hunting German submarines since the water is deep off the coast.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment