Saturday, 18 October 2008

Marmion Tower and Beningborough Hall

Welcome to Marmion Tower. It's this random tower, left over from a lost Manor House, out in the middle of Yorkshire. It was kind of an odd place to visit, but I liked it and it made me wonder what happened to the house that this gate was once the entrance to. This is all that is left of the place.
This picture is a close up of the 'Oriel' window. I thought it was very stately and it gives an elegant feel to the tower and makes one wonder even more what the house behind such a gate would have been like as well as the inhabitants who owned it. We were able to climb up into the tower fairly high. There is a picture of the steep winding staircase below. These staircases are so windy and so narrow that I always get a bit sick when climbing up and down them. The thought of going up and down them in some big poofy dress, as the women in those days wore, is very disconcerting!
On our way back from Marmion Tower, we stopped at a preserved Manor House by the name of Beningborough Hall. Below is a picture of the outside. We were not allowed to take photographs of the inside, so sorry about that. It is quite a place and we had a really fun time on the top floor where they have a display teaching about artists of the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries. We were even able to have a 'virtual' portrait 'painted' of us by a computer! Mine didn't turn out very well because I could never get my head aligned right, but it was still fun anyway.
This picture was taken in the walled garden of the estate. I love the red leaves of the ivy and this is the time of year when they turn. The ivy seems to turn before most of the rest of the trees and the red shade is stunning!
I was very tired by the time I reached this point in the day and had lost a bit of my enthusiasm for estate gardens, so none of the rest of my pictures of this place were really worth posting. So, sorry about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment