
Hello Again! It's time for a blog update and amazingly enough this one is relatively quick since my last one was at the end of September. It's fall here in lovely Yorkshire and the above picture is in celebration of that. I've always loved fall and the turning of the leaves. This particular picture was taken while sauntering along at Fountains Abbey, which you will see more of below. Fountains Abbey was established by Cistercian Monks. This particular one is located about an hour north west of York.

Here is one view of Fountains Abbey. These pictures do not do the place justice because it is HUGE and awe inspiring to be in these monastic ruins. Every time I come to one of these places I always think to myself, 'What a waste that King Henry VIII just let these places go'. They are amazing as ruins and I just can't imagine how they would be if they were still up and running.

This is a view from inside, that's why it's darker, but it kind of gives you the idea of how huge it is. One thing Henry did provide by the dissolution was many fabulous places for England's pigeons to reside! The birds love these places and are everywhere above your head making their distinctive noises.

Here I am sitting upon a stone inside what is called the 'Warming Room'. It was a lovely day and not too chilly and thankfully, no rain! We've had plenty of that all throughout the 'summer'.

Attached to Fountains Abbey is a huge estate which contains a lovely 'Water Garden' with paths all along it. It's marvelous here and it's worth a membership just to be able to come here often and walk around. The swan in the above picture is only one of the many birds who live here and enjoy the tranquility.

Here is another segment of the Water Garden. The statue out in the middle is of that one Greek God of the water--can't remember his name at the moment. It truly is lovely here and we sat and ate our lunch on this spot.

This is my favorite picture of the day! It was taken from a promontory called 'Anne Boleyn's Seat' and it gives a magnificent view of the place. Loved it! Unfortunately, I cannot post all of the nice pictures I took along the way, but if I could, you'd all be crazy over this place too.
No comments:
Post a Comment