
Hello! It's been quite a blog-break for me. Sorry about that. You see, I suddenly found myself having to move house at the end of June and that meant losing an internet connection for weeks and weeks as we sorted out living arrangements, got moved, hooked up utilities and all of that tedious stuff that comes with moving. Why did I need to move, you ask? Well . . . let's just say that we had a dodgy landlord and it was best to leave before we got stuck with some big problems. So, after living at the Byland House for about 8 months, I am now living in a tiny little flat on Saxon Place. The above picture shows you the outside. We are the door on the right and our windows are the ones in the roof! Yes, folks, in the roof. We live in the loft space--an after thought of building our new landlord (not dodgy) informed us.

When you come in the bottom door, you are confronted with this imposing staircase! It is steep and narrow and turns a sharp corner to the left up at the top. Needless to say, it's a good thing we don't have much in the way of furniture because I tried to get a wardrobe up there and failed. It wouldn't fit around the corner and I had to take it apart into little pieces and reassemble it upstairs afterwards! Thank heavens my parents taught me to be undaunted by difficulties and self-reliant. I was all alone that day and after the furniture people failed to get it up the stairs, they deposited on the footpath outside and drove away in their truck. It was also raining!

Here is the door to our actual flat. Exciting picture, ey? I thought you'd like to be welcomed through the front door like a normal visitor, however.

Here is my portion of a bedroom. Our flat is a two room flat. I have one and my flatmate Debbie Baldock (from Norwich and really great) has the other one. My room is large enough that it doubles as my bedroom and what little living space is left over. We have a table to eat at in the corner there and that's about the extend of the living space! :)

Here is the corner I have converted into a private area. That white bit of cloth hanging from the bookshelf is a curtain I made out of a sheet and I can draw it across to the wardrobe and attach it and then I can have a changing space back there. Pretty cool, I must say. It's awkward having visitors in one's bedroom and this does help me a bit.

This is the kitchen. You can see that we have slanted ceilings and the skylight above my head is one of the ones in the roof of the building. I am tall enough that I can stick my head out of it and survey the street below as well as other people's back gardens and so forth. If I was a nosey neighbour, then I could really get the scoop on some people! The drawback to the kitchen is that I often hit my head when I'm trying to do things in there. Not very nice, but I'll live. At least all of the appliances are brand new and clean and we even have a washing machine/tumble dryer combo! I haven't dried my clothes in a machine for nearly two years!

This is the bathroom. It has the same difficulties as the kitchen with the slanted ceiling. I can only stand in one portion of the shower if I don't want to hit my head. But, the bathtub is lovely and deep and so that makes up for it.

This is a portion of Debbie's room. We have no place to store our food, so the stacks and cupboards you see off to the right hold our food. They are in close proximity to the kitchen, so it works out okay. Debbie has slanted ceilings as well and thus I got the other room since she's shorter than me and doesn't hit her head so easily as I do. I make it a point to stay out of Debbie's space for the most part since I always wack my head in there!
Anyway, this is where I live now. It's small but it's lovely and new and nice. Debbie is tidy and lots of fun, so we're enjoying ourselves very much.
No comments:
Post a Comment