Thursday, 24 September 2009

Bempton Cliffs

Hello again! I'm back after a few weeks of crazy busy-ness. When does life ever slow down? Welcome to Bempton Cliffs. Debbie and I visited here in late August, I believe, though some times the weeks all merge into a big blob and I can no longer distinguish. Bempton Cliffs is a Sea Bird Reserve and visitors go there to take a walks along stunning white cliffs overlooking the North Sea and watch for birds. These next few pictures are of the cliffs.
You can vaguely see some of the white Gannets who nest here flying around in the picture, but they are small. I don't have the right kinds of lenses for taking pictures of birds from this far away. Apparently, more than 200,000 birds (from April to August) nest here and bring food for their young. A lot of bird watchers come here. We found out, too late, that August is NOT the time to visit here because there are loads of little black gnats--you know the kind that get stuck in your arm hair! A bit annoying, but the wind did help a little.

This is one of the most densely inhabited outcroppings! All of those birds down there are Gannets--Adults are large and bright white with black wingtips. They are distinctively shaped with a long neck and long pointed beak, long pointed tail, and long pointed wings.. Their chicks are gray and they grow whiter and whiter as they grow older. Their nesting season is almost over and so the grey chicks, not that you can really see them in these, are large and getting ready to leave the nest.
Here's that same promontory, just further away. I like the rock formations underneath all of the birds. I can't figure out why the birds all nest in this spot when there are miles and miles of cliffs they can choose from. Perhaps they are social creatures. I do have to say that these birds smell horrible! When we were down wind from them the smell was enough to knock you over!
Debbie and I hiked along for about four miles round trip. I can always tell when we hit the four mile marker because my right hip starts to hurt. It was a lovely day and we enjoyed it very much. Along the trail was this wooden 'Puffin' and so of course we had to stop for a picture moment. It was windy, in case you're wondering why my hair is such a mess!

No comments:

Post a Comment