Thursday, 24 September 2009

Flamborough Head

Anyone surprised? A lighthouse? Me? Nahhhhh. I don't like lighthouses at all. This particular one is called Flamborough Head lighthouse and it's out on this lovely spot--apparently a very dangerous spot for ships to pass, but it's lovely. Pay close attention to the white cliffs down in the right corner of this picture because we will be going down for a closer look shortly.
But first, you have to see the lighthouse! Lovely, ey? Here's some information about it: a lighthouse was first established at Flamborough by Sir John Clayton in 1669, but was never kindled. The name Flamborough was first thought to be derived from it being the place of the flame, but in the domesday book the word is spelt "Flaneberg", possibly from the Saxon "Flaen" meaning a dart, which the shape of the headland resembles.
Here it is again from down on the beach. The present lighthouse, designed by architect Samuel Wyatt, was built by John Matson of Bridlington in 1806 at a cost of £8,000. It was first lit on 1st December of that year.
Here I am sitting under those lovely white cliffs you saw from the headland. Aren't they great? i really do like the white rock. Debbie and I enjoyed the sun and sat on the beach and put our toes in the sand. It was nice. I like being only 30 minutes from a coast. It's fun to go out to the sea.
Here I am in the sea. I'm afraid that there was a lot of the slimy sea weed floating in the water, so it wasn't all that pleasant standing right there, but I did have to get in the water for a minute or two.
Waves coming in to swirl around my feet! Love those hiking sandles! Seriously, those are some of the best things I ever bought and they make moments like this so nice! I can be in the water and still have my feet protected all at once!
Yuck! Sea weed and other things from the sea.

No comments:

Post a Comment