Saturday, 17 October 2009

Lake District


Back to the Lake District! One of the many good things about my flatmate Debbie (and there are many) is that she likes the Lake District as much as me and she has a car, which enables us to go there! So we took advantage of the mild autumn weather to go and make a visit a couple of weekends ago. This is Ullswater. I haven't been to this lake before. It's lovely and there are lots of walks to take around here.
Autumn always has been my favorite season and you can see that the leaves are changing now. We are a bit early for the spectacular autumn colours, but that just means we'll have to come back again later to get those shots. Any reason to come is good enough for me. I love this place!
Here we are on the southern tip of Ullswater. It was a great day and we had loads of fun.
On our way to Aira Force (a water fall) we came across this dead tree trunk lying off of the trail. From a distance it looked like it had some sort of worms eating away at the trunk to leave all of these strange patterns, but on closer inspection we discovered that this is a pence tree. People have pressed 1 pence and 2 pence pieces into the trunk. Seriously. All the way up and down it and all around it. I've never seen anything like it and it was pretty cool, so there you go!
Here we are crossing the stream just below the Aira Force Falls. I love these old stone bridges. They are picturesque.
Here are the falls. They are lovely and I never get tired of water falls no matter how many I go to see. They are all different and there is something powerfully magical about the sound of the water.

No comments:

Post a Comment