
Welcome Back Everyone! It's been a while since my last posting. Sorry about that. Since then I have finished the first chapter of my PhD thesis (hallelujah!) and even presented a paper at an academic conference (glad it's over!) and now finally have a few minutes to rest and to catch up. At the end of September I attended a Single Adult Conference (my first one since I've been in England) at Lotherton Hall. Lotherton Hall is located 13 miles north-east of Leeds, so it's close to York. I had to include the above picture (random, I know) because it's a classic picture of what SA activities can be like! (Those Single Adults know what I mean) and therefore I couldn't pass it up. Single Adults range from 31 to 100 and you never know what you're going to find or experience at an activity. This person was worn out and decided to soak in the sun (rare for England!) and I thought it a classic representation of SA activities! :)

Lotherton Hall Estates is an Edwardian country house set in wonderful parkland. It is owned by the York Council, which means it's maintained by taxes and is free to the public. We only had to pay for parking and then we were able to enjoy the grounds. Lotherton Hall boasts a wild bird reserve and we enjoyed walking around looking at them in the morning. The above shot is of the Hall itself. Very nice.

This is one of my favorite shots of the garden and the house in the background. Can you believe those skies? You just don't get cloudless skies in this country and we were so blessed. No rain and no clouds and very warm temperatures. It was a lovely day and we enjoyed ourselves.

Here are more of the gardens. All these huge estates have lovely gardens. I wouldn't want to do the work to maintain one, but I wouldn't mind living with a garden like this. I suppose you could afford a whole team of gardeners if you could afford a house like this.

This is a random moment of posing on a little platform. I kind of blend in with the house, but if you look closely you can see me flexing my muscles! We enjoyed ourselves being silly. That's what sunshine does to you around here since we don't get much of it!

Below you will find a video clip of a sack race that was held. My flatmate Debbie, won this race. She's the blonde one in the black trousers and red striped shirt. Where am I, you ask? I'm behind the camera, but never fear, I did participate in the first race, against the boys, and I came in first of all the women. I wasn't aggressive enough to beat the guy who won! I have been nursing a sprained ankle and one race of jumping was all I could manage, so sorry about that. No video of me! There is also picture of my ankle (left one this time, not the usual right one) after I hurt it. What was I doing? Well, I (classic for me!) stepped off the curb in front of my flat wrong. I wasn't paying attention to where I was going. You can all shake your heads in resignation. How many times have I sprained an ankle like that? Five, six, or more? I'm hopeless, I'm afraid, but I have started to pay more attention to where I'm walking since then! The ankle is healing slowing, but it is healing. Things heal slower when you get old like me.
No comments:
Post a Comment