Wednesday, 21 April 2010

Springtime in York

Welcome to the Daffs! The local nickname of the daffodils, is, daffs, so that's what we'll call them here too! I absolutely love it when the daffs are out in York. There is nothing as beautiful as all of the bright yellow faces shining along the walls of the city. It's fabulous and can't but lift the spirits after a long, cold, dark, English winter! Anyway, I'm sure you can tell I'm happy about being out among the daffs.
Tiptoe through the tulips . . . wait, the daffs, seems to apply here. Or better yet, William Wordsworth's famous lines "I wandered lonely as a cloud, that floats on high o'er vales and hills, When all at once I saw a crowd, A host of golden daffodils--. This is one of my favorite pictures, actually.
While I was out looking for likely spots to photograph, I was joined by this really friendly ginger cat. He/She followed me all along the way and, cat like, insisted on being right in the middle of whatever I was doing. It was a bit difficult to take pictures sometimes, but I didn't mind. I miss my cats at home and it's always nice to find a friendly substitute for a few hours.
More daffs along the banks below the York City Walls. I certainly live in a beautiful place!
These next photos are just some of the other types of flowers blooming among the golden daffs.
I don't know any of their names, but they are lovely. The little golden star shaped one reminds me of the Golden Eleanor that J.R.R. Tolkien described as growing in the grass in Lothlorien--the golden sunstar. Perhaps these are similar to the ones he imagined.


This is a bird's eye view. All of the banks along the walls look like this and it's quite a site driving around York to enjoy it.
This is a picture of me out on a little hike over an estate called the Moorlands. The daffs weren't quite out yet, but I'm sure they are now. I've been told that I need to come back again in about a month when all the Rhododendrons are in bloom. Apparently it's so beautiful that the grounds people charge entrance at that time of year only! So, guess we'll if I make it back or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment