Sunday, 6 April 2008

Whitby

We have now traveled out to the East Coast of England. Below you see a view of the charming fishing village of Whitby! This place would be a fun place to be on a nice day. We were NOT here on a nice day. In fact, I don't think we could have any worse weather than we had. It hailed, sleeted, rained, snowed and the wind was blowing so hard that at times we couldn't even stand still enough to take a picture. Seriously! I've never been in such terrible wind before. But, we survived and have some funny memories of being blown around like loose pieces of paper.High up on the cliffs is the lovely little church of St. Mary's. There are 199 steps to get you up there and we stepped on each one. The wind was very bad up there, but the view was really great if you could stand still long enough to look at it. We experienced the worst of our weather up there as well. Don't you just love the look of these little homes? Very quaint.
Here is a nice shot from up on the cliff over-looking Whitby. Like all churches, St. Mary's has a nice graveyard. It overlooks the ocean and goes all the way around the church. We couldn't go out onto the furthest parts of it because we would have been blown off the cliff and into the ocean! I was able to take this picture because I was sheltering behind the wall of the church.
Just up behind St. Mary's is Whitby Abbey. This is a famous Abbey and draws all sorts of tourists. Even with weather as bad as we had there were lots of people out and about all wrapped up in their warm clothes. Though you can't see the wind, it's blowing and we only were out on the Abbey grounds for a short time because we became absolutely frozen within a few minutes.
These next two shots are some of my favorite details of the Abbey itself. I love the bottom one in particular because it gives you the sense of how huge these pillars of stone are. After taking these pictures Rachel and I went into the Tea Room and enjoyed some Hot Chocolate and an Apple Turnover! We deserved it!

Can you see why visiting Whitby would be fabulous on a nice day? I'll be back again if I get a chance!

No comments:

Post a Comment