Thursday, 25 September 2008

Pickering and Plays

Hi Everyone! It's been a while since I updated my blog. Sorry about that. My thesis was due and that was where my focus has been the last six weeks. In spite of that, however, I did get out and see a few things whilst I was diligently finishing all of those 20,000 words. The above picture is of the Medieval Castle at Pickering. It's a large place and hard to capture on film. The Castle is an 11th century earthwork motte and bailey fortress and it was originally founded by William the Conqueror. Originally it was built out of wood but Henry II changed it all to the stone you can see here.

I am standing on the stairs of one of the three towers in the walls protecting the motte and keep. As you can see the sun was out and it was a very lovely, dry, warm day. Hallelujah! One of the few we had all summer! Seriously, there really wasn't a summer this year because it rained so much.
One of the Friday nights in August I attended the Shakespeare play 'Much Ado about Nothing' performed by The Lord Chamberlain's Men--a traveling theatre company. It is made up of all male actors and thus the female parts are played by men. I took this picture so you could see what it was like watching the performance. The 'woman' on the left (your left) is Hero and the one on the right is Beatrice. Both are men and they did a good job trying to be women. It was a bit odd, really, but that's authentic Shakespeare since in Shakespeare's day all of the actors were men. We sat out in the lovely Museum Gardens to see the show and it was fabulous! The acting was superb and the singing and dancing very well done. There's nothing like seeing Shakespeare acted by English actors with talent and training!

No comments:

Post a Comment