
I know, I know, what is this a picture of? It is called a 'Panoptican' and it is something that was commissioned by some Arts Counsel to beautify the Lancashire landscape. Apparently there are five or six of these types of structures on prominent points throughout the county. These structures had to be a 'shelter, a view point, and a sculpture' or something like that. So, this is one of the entries that won the competition and was built here. I am in Lancashire, yes, I have left Yorkshire and entered into the dreaded realm of Lancashire (if you remember the Wars of the Roses between the houses of York and Lancaster then you'll know why Yorkists find Lancashire dreaded). Anyway, we are on our way to a little place called Wycoller and this Panoptican was on the peak overlooking it and at the head of the trail descending to it. Tasha and I thought it looked like a space ship we could take off in!

Wycoller is this little place with old barns and some ruins with these little paths between them for people to come and walk and enjoy the woods and the river. There are one or two houses down there and the above picture is a sample of them. I like them and the area.

A shot of the bridge leading into Wycoller. The below picture shows Tasha and I sitting in one of the ruined buildings.

This next picture is one of my favorites. I'm patting a willow-weave horse. Apparently you can take willow branches and weave them into cool things like horses. There was aslo an archway to walk under that was woven in the same manner.

And then of course there is 'Henry'. I don't think I've seen a St. Bernard since I was six years old and our neighbors had one who always slobbered in my hair. Isn't he adorable?! I just wanted to give him a big hug, but I couldn't reach that far down. He guards the gate of one of the residences in residential area. A man who was passing by at the time we were patting Henry informed us of his name, so I didn't just make that up.
No comments:
Post a Comment