Thursday, 25 September 2008

Scarborough

Welcome to the seaside town of Scarborough! It is on the East Coast of England and about 1.5 hours from York. It's a popular place for the English to go on a nice day and the road to and from is often clogged with traffic! The above picture is the headstone for Anne Bronte--author of 'The Tenant of Wildfell Hall'--and sister to Charolotte Bronte--author of Jane Eyre. Anne came with Charlotte to Scarborough in 1849 for her health. She had tuberculosis (commonly called consumption in those days) and she died here shortly after her arrival. Charlotte had already watched her sister Emily Bronte and her brother Branwell die of the same thing in 1848, so this was probably a rough time for her. The grave yard is lovely and overlooks the sea.

The above picture is of Scarborough itself with all of its red tiled roofs. There were tons of people wandering the streets on the Saturday we were here and since I don't like big crowds I was happy to get off of the streets and onto the beach--which you can see in the picture below. The water isn't very warm but it was nice to go stand in it anyway.
This next shot is of the coast north of where I stood in the water. We are up on the peak overlooking the town. Up here they have a lovely castle --300 feet above the sea--that has stood here for a very long time. It was originally built in 1136 during the reign of King Stephen. Piers Gaveston--the favorite friend of King Edward II--sought refuge here from the angry barons in 1314. The barons laid seige and Piers eventually surrendered because he had run out of supplies. Piers was later beheaded, though not at this castle. Lots of other things happened here after Piers surrendered, but I can't mention them all. In 1914 the castle and town were bombed by German warships just off the coast--19 people were killed. So! This place is quite historic and it really is in a remarkable spot with a lovely view!
Here I am standing near the southeast edge of the cliffs. You can see the castle tower in the backgroud. The small hill behind me has a chapel--of all things--dedicated to St. Mary underneath it. It's very wet and damp in there!
There was a Medieval festival going on while we were visiting the castle. They did all sorts of little displays of medieval life. But, I'll spare you those pictures and just share with you the display I really liked. We got to see Medieval Cavalry tactics in action! It was great fun. The man on horseback below is sticking a spear in a 'scarecrow' target to illustrate how one would spear someone in battle from the back of a galloping horse.
I've attached two video clips as well so that you can see the men in action. We had a ball watching them and they did all sorts of things from horseback. Though they thought they were being clever, one of the 'knights' doing the displays was actually a woman but they kept her hood on and so it was hard to tell unless you got an up close look at her. Good for her! All in all it was a great day at Scarborough. I'd recommend a visit here for anyone planning to come over.

No comments:

Post a Comment