
Welcome to the lovely medieval town of Chester! It's out on the west side of England and is a couple of hours from York. I visited Chester on my first trip to England back in 2006, but unfortunately I didn't own a digital camera at that time, so I can't put any of those pictures on this blog. But, you'll get an idea of Chester from these. This first picture is of the massive Gothic Cathedral Chester has in the town center. I like the color of the stone, though Gothic isn't my favorite style of architecture, to be honest. The woman in the front of the cathedral is Luz Cosens. She's a friend from church and hails from the Canary Islands in Spain. She is married to Mark Cosens and they were kind enough to invite me along with them on a little trip over Easter weekend. We stopped in Chester for a little while on our way from the Preston Temple down to Shropshire.

I'm still so happy about spring that I had to take a picture of the blossoms on the trees in the cathedral garden. It is so nice to have warmer weather and some blue skies!

This shot is of the Roman wall that surrounds the town center of Chester. Chester has a similar feel as the city of York does and maybe that is why I like it so much. It was fun to be back in this place again. We wandered up and down the town center streets and enjoyed the place.

Chester is famous for many things, but one of them is the black and white architecture of its shops. I know there is an official name for it, but it has escaped me at the moment. The shops here are built in a unique way with the ground floor shops being sunk part way into the ground so that you have to go down a few steps to enter the shop. That makes the first floor shops a bit lower down then they would normally be, so you get this three-quarter flavor as you walk along the streets and look into the shop windows. It's great and I acutally like it. Since we had been at the temple earlier in the day, we were dressed nicely. I don't have a dress coat, however, having only brought one rather 'all purpose' coat with me for the duration of my stay here. Luz had changed her high heel shoes for ones she could walk around town in--the replacements didn't really go with her dress particularly well. Between the two of us, and our fashion mistakes, we attracted a lot of rather strange looks. I thought that was very funny because there are all sorts of people who dress oddly these days and I didn't feel we deserved to be stared at. But, apparently many of the shoppers in Chester felt we needed to be arrested by the fashion police! Fun times!
No comments:
Post a Comment