Monday, 13 April 2009

Daffodil Walk


Hey! It's Spring! One of my favorite things about York is the Daffodils that come out in March and linger all the way until mid April. There is something about the yellow flowers that just brings sunshine and gladness into one's heart. So, here are some photos of them from a Saturday afternoon spent out taking a walk.
This photo was taken on the grounds of Castle Howard. If any of you have seen Brideshead Revisited (the movie) then Castle Howard features in that film very prominently. It is a lovely place and has acres of gardens, lawn, forest, and lakes. The two people in the above photo are Rose Richardson and Caroline Oliver who kindly invited me to accompany them on an outing to enjoy the nice weather (I know, sun and clear skies in England, who knew?).
This photo has the daffodils, the lovely lawns, and slight view of Castle Howard in the distance. I do have some nicer photos of Castle Howard than this from a trip I made earlier, but I can't remember if those are on a previous posting or not. I don't think they are, so I'll have to see about that at some future date.
Here we see a nice Waterfall which is located in the vicinity of Castle Howard, though I don't remember where exactly. Since I don't drive a car around here, I have trouble connecting locations of things with locations of other things. I can't remember the name of this Waterfall either (I know, lame of me), so I've dubbed it Malton Falls since it is close to the town of Malton and that name will serve as a nice reminder to me, if no one else.
Here I am in front of the falls. Apparently it didn't have as much water flowing down as it usually does because we had had a relatively dry week prior to our visit here. But, that doesn't matter to me. It was SO nice to be out and about and to have a break from the cold winter we've had this year.
This is a view of the river below the falls. You can see Caroline and Rose walking along the trail ahead of me.
Here I am standing out on some random concrete pylon. I climbed onto it from the wooden bridge that crosses the river. Caroline and Rose didn't venture out there with me since it was took a bit of effort to get between the bridge rails and they didn't seem overly keen to join me. I've never gotten over my tendency to climb things/hang from things that I had as a child!

No comments:

Post a Comment