Friday, 23 May 2008

Bridestones

Back out on the Yorkshire Moors again! This place is so great and there is such a wide variety of terrain out there to experience. We took an 8 mile hike around a loop and about halfway through it are the Bridestones. Below you can see an example of a Bridestone. They say that these formations were created from sandstone laid down under the sea during the Jurassic period. How's that for technical?Below you will see me standing atop one of them. They were rather fun to climb and up on top there were these little wells full of water left over from the rain. At least you wouldn't go thirsty if you got stuck out here!
It appears that the Bridestones got their name from some tradition about people getting married out here a long time ago. I haven't had a chance to check into the history of that story, but at some point I will and then I'll know for certain. It's a long way from anywhere, so I wonder what significance these formations had to make people want to be married out here in the middle of nowhere.
Once you hike around the Bridestones, this is the view you have prior to descending a VERY steep trail into this lush greed dale. I believe it was officially called Dove Dale. There were lots of little foot bridges over the river flowing at the bottom and lots of green lawn. It was delightful!
And those of you who know me well won't be surprised to see me with my feet in the water! It felt soooooo good and I love my hiking sandals because I can walk in the streams whenever I want and not worry about getting shoes and socks wet. This was a fun little place to cool off because the temperature was very warm the day we were here.
And, of course, there were sheep down in the dale. Lot's of little baby sheep! I've never been anywhere near sheep at lambing season until now and it's been quite a fun experience. Baby sheep are adorable and they do all sorts of crazy things: they jump all over the place and race each other and. . . these particular sheep were not happy about getting their feet wet. The mom and that you see there decided to cross the stream to get to the grass on the other side and when she did so, these two little lambs stood on the other side of the water bleating their little hearts out because they refused to get their little hooves wet. Eventually they figured out how to use the stepping stones that are placed there for people and off they went over the river nice and dry! It was so cute to watch and it reminded me very much of human babies when they don't like to take baths at first.

No comments:

Post a Comment