Sunday, 25 May 2008

Lake District

Here we are on a rainy, cool day at the Lake District. This area of England is just a bit further north of the west coast town of Manchester for those of you who don't know where the Lake District might be. So far, it's my favorite location in England and I was so happy to get a chance to go there for a day even if the weather wasn't the best in the world.Above is a view of one of the many hills surrounding the lakes. I was never informed exactly what lake we were hiking around, but it was one of the more northern ones. Apparently the Lake District is a convenient destination for day trips from Manchester and the lakes closer to that city are more crowded. I was standing atop a nice promontory when I took this picture and I was fairly wet because it was raining very nicely at the time.
This next picture is of our little hiking group as they trudge up one of the steep hills on the trail. We did a seven mile hike along the lake shore. The trail was really rocky and rugged, but only had one or two steep parts. Though you probably don't care very much, the man in the light blue coat in the front left is Mark Cosens and his wife Luz (from Spain) is directly behind him in the gray. They are a really great couple who are outstanding at sharing the gospel. The woman in the right front with the baseball cap on is Rose Richardson and she's one of the most fantastic single women I've ever met and a ton of fun. Behind her is her brother (also single) Simon. The rest of our group is down the trail a ways, but I can't determine who is who from this distance.
I loved this place. As you can see, there is lots of water around here and as usual, lots of sheep. We stopped here for a bit of a rest.
This next shot was taken from the ferry boat we took back down to where our car was parked. It's kind of a nice thing to be able to hike a certain distance and then take the ferry back again, but I think I would have rather walked back since I like being out in the woods so much. However, there were people in our group who were rather worn out and cold from the seven mile walk in the rain, so we accommodated them.

I also liked this pretty green spot. It was along our route. There's no place like England for green, that's for sure! I'll definitely be coming back here for more whenever I get a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment