
Many of you know that I work at St. Bede's Pastoral Centre and my employers are a community of nuns. These women are fabulous and we have come to be good friends. One of them decided that I was looking a bit worn out and needed a retreat. Therefore, I was sent out to the community's Retreat Cottage on the Whitby Coast for a few days at the end of February. After completing my fourth chapter, I went out there to give the place a deep clean, but also to 'get away' from academics. So . . . here are my pictures from that excursion. I loved it! Just look at that coast line. Who wouldn't love a few days there, even in February? I could have stayed longer!

Here is the Retreat Cottage. It's at the very end of the North Promenade and is just across the road from the cliffs that lead down to the beach you saw above. Talk about a prime piece of property! Anyway, inside this 'cottage' there are nine bedrooms, three sitting rooms, a laundry room, four bathrooms, a large kitchen, and several pantries. There is also a garage out back and a lovely garden too. I occupied the upper room with the bow window on the left. It was lovely!

Great name for the cottage, ey? I thought it was perfect for a community of nuns.

Here I am at the door. Next to me on the left is a large pot with some spring bulbs just coming up! After these long, dark, winter nights that they have in England, I'm always happy to feel the first stirrings of spring.

Below you will see my bedroom with it's bow window overlooking the sea. You can't ask for more than this if you want a quiet place to recover from the mental exhaustion of finishing a chapter! If you look closely at the top of the bed you can see my yellow rubber gloves. Yes, I did do the cleaning I was sent there to do!

Here I am at the bow window. I had nice scripture study sessions at this desk each of the two mornings I had there. Because of a pantomime rehearsal, I had to go back to York a bit earlier than I had hoped and had to give up my last morning out there. Oh well, it was all for a good cause.

This is one of the many paths leading down from the road onto the beach. As you can see, they are very steep, but since they are paved, it's not too bad to go up and down them.

Here's another view of the beach and the pier and so forth. I did have one partly cloudy day when the sun came out for a while. This was one of the gray days that are typical of English weather.

Here I am out enjoying the beach between cleaning sessions. The weather was still cold, but at least it wasn't blowing or raining or anything like that. I enjoyed my walks out here. So did a few other people.

How could I not take a picture of the lighthouse? This one isn't all that colorful to look at, but I'm sure it does its job.

There was a body surfer out in the sea at the time I was down here. He was wearing a wet suit, of course, but I was amazed that he was surfing the waves at this time of year. Not being much for swimming in the ocean, I can't relate to his enthusiasm, but he sure looked like he was enjoying himself.

And, of course, I had to take some video of the waves. I always find the sound of the sea so soothing and peaceful. So enjoy!
No comments:
Post a Comment