Friday, 16 November 2007

The Kitchen


The kitchen is worthy of a post all by itself. It truly is a one-man kitchen. Our refrigerator is underneath my left hand there and I'm leaning on the hob (stove). There is a microwave back in the left-hand corner, a sink and a few cabinets. Learning to work with such a small fridge has been rather entertaining, but I'm getting better at it. Our freezer is about the size of a shoebox and is easily filled up with one or two things between the pair of us. My side is currently filled with one bag of frozen corn! How's that for food storage?

While we're on the subject of food, I'm learning all about the supermarkets here. They have very different things than I've been accustomed to at home. The baking aisle is very meager and it's been quite an adventure figuring out how to make my recipes work here. American Hot Dogs come in cans (they taste a bit like vienna sausages), there's no such thing as monterey jack cheese (but all sorts of other kinds I've never heard of or tasted), no such thing as corn meal, nothing like mapleline flavoring (for all of you homemade syrup buffs) and on an on. But, the cheeses and breads are really good and I'm learning how to work around everything else. You should see the "Mexican" food aisle. I about died laughing when I saw a very tiny can of refried beans--about the size of a condensed milk can. They seem to think that fajitas and tacos are the only things in the Mexican menu.

No comments:

Post a Comment