Monday, 19 November 2007

War Extravaganza in Pickering

Welcome to the small town of Pickering. It's about 1/2 hour northeast of York. My flatmate Heidi, our friend Tasha, and I went here one fine Saturday in October. They were holding a War Extravaganza there. I had no idea what that was until I showed up and was ashamed to find myself in 21st century clothing. This is because a large number of people there were dressed in either armed forces uniforms or clothing from the 1940's. It was absolutely charming and I was a bit sad that I did not have a 1940's outfit complete with a fur stole with the animal's head and legs dangling from my shoulders. (I really think those things are rather gruesome with the head and feet hanging on them, but that was the style back then.) The above picture made me laugh because it looked so very British with the tea cups.

As you can see in the picture above, this was the train station and only those dressed in period clothing were allowed on that side. My favorite were the little kids dressed up with tags on their clothes and little suitcases in honor of the relocation of the children during air raids of WWII.
Here is an example of the cars that were driving down the street and you can see some more dressed up people in the background.


And here we have my flatmate Heidi (on the right of the picture) and Tasha (on the left). If you look into the background you can see the large numbers of people in the street. It was amazingly crowded! But, I was impressed with people remembering the terrible price of war and for honoring those who have lost their lives in all of the various wars.

No comments:

Post a Comment