
I was blessed to spend the Christmas holidays with my parents, who are finishing up their Mission, on the Peter Whitmer Farm. Talk about a fun place to spend Christmas if you like the snowy, middle-of-nowhere- homey feel. There's nothing out here, really, besides the church buildings. But, that made Christmas nice and cosey and not full of too many distracting things.

This is a picture of the church/visitors center. It's a lovely building that serves it's purpose well. As you can see, we got LOTs of snow this year and were often either snowed in by the storms or drifted in afterward by the wind blowing the snow all over the place. I've never seen anything quite like the drifting out there and it really was a problem keeping the walks and driveways scraped.

This is the little missionary home that is off to the right of the church as you stand looking at it. My parents live in the left side and two sets of sister missionaries live in the right side. There is an inside door that connects the two apartments and thus there is plenty of interaction between the young sisters and the couple assigned here. It was fun being with so many missionaries. I got to go out with the sisters to teach some investigators while I was there. We also went Christmas Caroling on Christmas Eve. The church members out here were very friendly and I felt very welcome during my visit.

Here I am tromping through the snow so that you can see how much there was on the ground. The sun happened to be shining the day I took these pictures and that was actually quite a rarity. We had a lot of storms while I was there.

Here is the log cabin where the Church was restored in 1830. My favorite experience of my visit was getting to hold a sacrament meeting inside here one Sunday. Regular Sunday church meetings had been cancelled due to the heavy snow, so the missionaries received permission to administer the sacrament here and have our own little testimony meeting. It was truly special to witness the sacrament being passed in the very same place that Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdery did it for the first time in this dispensation. What a moment! I was very grateful for it and will always remember it. I spent just over three weeks out on the Whitmer farm and had a nice time. I feel like the Whitmer Farm and I got to be close friends!
No comments:
Post a Comment