
Well! Here I am at my MA graduation ceremony! I really did earn this degree, so I decided to go to the ceremony and make the most of it. It was an interesting thing--an English Graduation Ceremony. First, my outfit. We wore the usual robes and morter board hats with tassels. We also had gray hoods with red inside of them to indicate that we were MA Arts graduates. When we went to pick up our robes, we were assisted into them by the robe people, so that was new. i guess they don't trust college graduates to dress themselves, even with all of our education! The above picture is me with Lynnette Morris. Lynnette came back from CA to attend, so that was really fun.

Here is a shot from inside Central Hall where the ceremony took place. The man standing there is the Chancellor of the University and we all walked across the stage from left to right, stopping in the middle to receive a handshake and a word of congratulations from him. I wonder if he ever gets tired of these ceremonies. The ceremony included a procession of the heads of the Departments coming to announce us from the pulpit. After them came a man all dressed in black carrying a long silver 'mace' (not a weapon, it's more like a scepter --all carved and so forth) which represents the University. Following him came the Chancellor and the Vice Chancellor. We had one speech by a woman who was receiving an honorary doctorate for her work in Medieval Viking studies and then a chamber music string ensemble played a couple of pieces for us and then we launched into the announcing of names.

You'll be glad to know that I made it across the stage without doing anything ridiculous. I do think my hat is a bit off to one side, but since there were no mirrors to check, oh well. After we all received our diplomas, the Chancellor spoke to us and out we went. The whole thing took about 1.5 hours, so not bad. There was a bit of bowing and doffing of bonnets (what PhD people wear) as the various heads of department came up to the pulpit, but on the whole, it wasn't too ceremonial nor too long and boring.

These last two pictures were taken outside of Central Hall on the lawn. The woman next to me is Jean Wilkinson--a surrogate parent. Her and her husband have sort of adopted me and it was fun to invite them to my graduation since no one else was really available to enjoy it with me. We had a fun time and went out to lunch afterward. So! I'm officially done with the MA and can now look forward to my next ceremony in 2012 when I will be decked out in the ridiculous bonnet (not a morter board) of a PhD candidate. But, let's not get too far ahead of ourselves because I have a lot of work to do between now and then. One thing at a time if you please!
Congratulation!!! You earned it. Good luck with your continuing studies.
ReplyDeleteCONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteCONGRATULATIONS!!!!
ReplyDelete