
One of my two big projects over Christmas (the other was an essay) was to make costumes for my role as the Wicked Step-mother in a Cinderella Pantomime Production I am in. This first dress (an absolute nightmare to make because the pattern was terrible) is the dress I will wear for most of the pantomime. We chose plum and green because they are rather evil colors and indicate the step-mother's personality well. My mom helped tremendously with this dress since the bodice and sleeves had to be re-cut completely to fit me. We also had issues with the cording as well as the grommets for the back placket. My mom's very fine sewing/pattern cutting talents shone through and she deserves the credit for this amazing dress! Without her, I would have had to scrap the thing completely, so my mom deserves multitudes of praise and thanks.

This next picture shows the cape that goes over the top of the plum dress for when I am in 'outdoor' scenes. It has this lovely high collar that will support this woman's very 'menacing' temper and once my hair is up, it will be easy to see.

And finally, this is my ball dress for the ballroom scene. I will have some jewelry to go with this, and of course, some shoes. I imagine they'll make me keep my hair up since it is easier to look angry and menacing with it all pulled back. I must comment that this production has been an interesting experience for me. I have experimented a lot with the Yorkshire accent so that I won't be the 'random American' in the show and have had fun with that. The hard part has been to be mean and menacing with the accent. After many weeks of never being able to please the directors of the show with my choice of voices (not mean enough, apparently), I have at long last succeeded after much practice and 'shouting' at home when no one is there! My poor neighbor, if she can hear me, must think I'm a psychopath! I passed muster this last practice and the directors were all pleased that I sounded both English and mean enough! I just hope that the primary kids won't run away from me when they see me at church after this and that my voice will last for the three performances. It's a hard thing to keep up the meanness for so long. I will try to take pictures of the actual performance, or at least have someone else take some, so that you can get a glimpse of the finished product. English Pantomimes have words, dancing, music, and singing. I'm not sure why they use the word pantomime, but that's the traditional word and there you have it.
No comments:
Post a Comment