Saturday, 24 January 2009

Seneca Falls

Though the Whitmer Farm is rather out in the middle of nowhere, there is one fun thing that it is close to--the town of Seneca Falls. For all of you people who love the movie 'It's a Wonderful Life', the town of Seneca Falls is said to be the town that Bedford falls was based on. So, here is the church. It's a nice little building and should look familiar to those who have seen the movie.
Here I am standing on the edge of the river that runs through the town. Behind me is the bridge that inspired the part in the film where George Bailey attempts to drown himself in the river and is saved by his guardian angel. There is a real story associated with this bridge that a man did indeed jump off of it, intending to end his life, and another man jumped in to save him. The rescuer did not survive, but he did manage to save the life of the jumper first. At Christmas time they have this bridge all lit up with lights. It's very nice to see. We drove by here while caroling on Christmas Eve, but unfortunately I did not have my camera with me at the time.
And, of course, the name of the road going over the bridge is George Bailey Lane. Very fitting, I'd say. Seneca Falls is a fun little town, especially with all of the lights lit up for Christmas. I enjoyed visiting here.

No comments:

Post a Comment